The Association of Convenience Stores is the voice of over 33,500 local shops, supporting our members through effective lobbying, comprehensive advice and innovative networking opportunities.
In April 2017 Jane Milton was invited to speak on Food and Drink Trends and Changes in Eating Habits to the annual conference of the Association. She spoke previously in 2015 and the feedback she received was that people were still talking about things she had pinpointed then- many of which they were sceptical about, for instance the rising popularity of spiralisers, and how she forecast vegetables would be available spiralised to buy.
Jane’s brief was to flag up categories, relevant to these convenience retailers where she predicted there would be growth and opportunity in 2018 and beyond and also to identify some of the more unusual opportunities they should keep an eye on.
The Association’s membership comes from a broad range of retailers from independents, small groups, garage forecourt groups, rural and city based retailers, giving quite a broad base of businesses to try to draw in.
Some of the areas brought to life in her talk were;
• Growth in online shopping and tailored promotions sent to smartphones
• Squeezable ouches of healthier foods for adults to eat on the go
• Grab & Go food, still huge room for growth
• Gluten free becoming the norm in a number of categories
• Authentic scratch cooking kits
• Ancient inspirations – ancient grains
• Plant based meals
• Insect protein – what is the place for it
• Non-alcoholic drinks and ‘spirits’
• Tea, Mate and Kombucha
• Gut Health
• Healthy Snacking
• Minimising Waste